Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Teletherapy: Using a Document Camera Part 2


Books. Books. More books. I love books—all kinds of books and when I started using a document camera to share my favorites, a huge weight was lifted from my nervous telepractioner shoulders. Once again, I had the ability to share a book, using my voice, stopping when I thought it made sense, and thinking aloud to facilitate comprehension strategies in response to the child. And here is the amazing part, I had the ability to zoom in and zoom out on parts of illustrations, words, and sentences. That power to show parts while hiding others is a useful tool for facilitating inferential thinking, questioning, and synthesizing. Bring on the delicious wordless picture books! The wordless book used in the video clip below is The Red Book by Barbara Lehman.
Using a document camera allows SLP’s transitioning to telepractice, to use materials they probably already have, in ways that make sense in their face-to-face therapy brains. Incorporating the use of a document camera means being able to take advantage of available local library book collections without shelling out tons of money. Further, some document cameras can be used to make recordings. That means, the SLP can record himself or herself reading a book and save it to be used over and over again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment